Argentina forward Sergio Aguero backed the decision to strip his country of Copa America hosting rights after arriving in his homeland on Tuesday.
The 32-year-old, whose move from Manchester City to Barcelona was mentioned on Monday, also cast doubt on Brazil’s chances of filling in for Argentina and Colombia, the original co-hosts.
In the course of the previous month, South American football’s governing body CONMEBOL first stripped Colombia of co-hosting rights and then Argentina too because of the coronavirus pandemic crises in both countries, and social unrest in the former.
On Monday, CONMEBOL announced Brazil would fill in, In spite of the country registering the second-highest number of Covid-19 deaths in the world with 462,000.
The Brazilian government is yet to confirm whether it will accede to the last ditched switch, less than two weeks before the tournament’s scheduled kick-off.
“If it’s tough in Brazil, we can’t play” the Copa America there, said Aguero as he reached Buenos Aires.
“It’s clear that in Argentina things are not going well. It’s a very correct decision from CONMEBOL,” expressed Aguero.
Argentina is encountering its worst period during the pandemic with highs of 40,000 daily fresh cases and 500 deaths.
“We players want to play. Now that we’re here we have to play, there’s no time left, we already lost last year,” said Aguero, referring to the fact they postponed the Copa by a year because of the pandemic.
“There’s been a year to see where it could be played, but every month, two months, everything alternates.”
Aguero has already caught the virus and said it was “quite difficult.”
Before the Copa commences, there are two rounds of World Cup qualifiers to be played.